Saturday, May 30, 2015

diy whipped body butter

Several years ago, I made a decision, that I no longer  wish to use products from the store. At first I wanted to be more frugal, than went to being more 'green' and wanting to leave behind a smaller carbon foot print. Now, it has morphed into other areas.
 I now make my own laundry soap, hand soap, lotions, salves, lip balms, and many more products. 

I am going to share how I make a very yummy Whipped Body Butter.

It's simple, effective, inexpensive, and best of all fun to make.



Measure all the ingredients by weight, except for the essential oil, and the cornstarch. Make sure you have a good kitchen scale. 

Melt the shea butter. I use the microwave. Add the oil--I use a combination of three oils: sweet almond oil, apricot oil, jojoba oil, cornstarch and the essential oil if you are using. Mix well together.



I started off using a hand held mixer--I switched and went and used my Kitchen Aid. It will take a bit of mixing. You will have to put the bowl with the oils in the fridge freezer for about 5 minutes--until it starts to solidify around the edges. You may have to repeat this process a few times.

Scrape down the edges, and keep whipping it until it has the consistency of stiff egg whites.

Scrape into a container--making sure it is one that you can get your hands into.

 I keep mine in my bedroom on my dresser. Use the body butter all over, and as often as you wish. 



For a one pound batch:

283 g  shea butter
168 grams  fixed oils (can use just one oil  or use 56 grams each of 3 different oils)
2 tsp cornstarch
.5 oz essential oil or fragrance oil (optional)



No comments:

Post a Comment