Monday, November 04, 2013

Tooth powder

For the past few years, I have been trying to find ways to save money on everyday items and at the same time, eliminate chemicals out of our lives. 

Hubby and I have been using  baking soda for brushing our teeth for several years now.

We don't have any health benefits through where hubby works, so seeing a dentist on a regular basis is out of the question. Back about four years ago, I was suffering from a tooth ache something fierce. I don't know how we managed an emergency dental trip, but I went. It turns out nothing was wrong. Thank goodness. The dentist was impressed with how good of shape my teeth were, considering I hadn't seen a dentist in about three years. I informed him that I use baking soda and I floss about twice a week. He went on to lecture me about why I shouldn't use baking soda and that I should be using a toothpaste.

 I didn't listen.

 In my search to find  on homemade stuff I came across this tooth powder recipe.


Hubby's is not a fan of the grated lemon peel mixed with his baking soda.


It does take some getting use to.


It smells really good. My teeth feel cleaner. I haven't notice any 'whitening' of the enamel. But than again, I don't know if the soda or lemon is suppose to help whiten them.

But here is the recipe if you like to try:

1 lemon-grated of the peel only
1/4 cup baking soda, aluminum free
4 tsp fine sea salt
10 drops of vanilla 

Mix ingredients together. Whirl ingredients in a food processor to help grind the lemon peel. 
Put into a small lidded jar.
Dip a dampen toothbrush into the powder. 
Rinse really well, because of the acidity of the lemon.

2 comments:

  1. I have often thought about whether I should try to do this, but haven't. I don't think I could handle the baking soda in my mouth. I give you a lot of credit for getting used to it. I guess, really, we could do anything when we need to, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it took longer for the hubby to get use to using baking soda compared to me. I think baby steps. Once we take that initial step, we are on our way to trying new and different ways of trying things and how we view the world.

      Delete