Thursday, November 07, 2013

seasoning salt



I believe that all the things that we can do for ourselves, will put money back in our own pockets. The less we rely on the grocery stores, the better off we are for it.



Like making our own mixes of popular seasonings found in the grocery spice isle. 



I found this recipe for seasoning salt. 
I can't remember where on the great 'world wide web'  I found it. 
I have a habit of writing things down on pieces of scrap paper without a reference as to where it originated from.


 It is far superior than the store bought name brand. Especially, if you are using your own herbs from your garden!!! Bonus, I say.



SEASONING SALT

10 tbsp sea salt
4 tbsp parsley flakes
5 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dill

-Mix together in a glass jar. Use as you would normally.
This seasoning salt taste exceptionally delicious on homemade french fries!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. Now let's hope I can remember where I saw it! I too tend to see things and then forget.

    We use seasoned salt and this will come in handy for us. I love the little jars you are using, did you recycle from something? or did you purchase them? Where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jars that I use are my canning jars. I some picked at yards sales at the Home Hardware and Canadian Tire stores and some from my ma.

      I have a variety of sizes. I use the standard size 1/2 pint jar for relishes, and jams. The wide mouth and gem size pint jar I use for canned tomatoes, sauces and salsa sauce. I can't seem to find any new ones of the gem size pint jars. I think I got most of those from my mother. In my quart size jars, the majority of them are the wide mouth and gem.

      Bernardin came out this year with a reproduction of the blue canning jars. But I never made it to a Canadian Tire to buy any. Blue jars are classy vintage! :)

      Delete
    2. I had a thought. I purchase black contact paper( which I found at the dollar store), and I use one of my craft paper punches, and I make my own labels. I use one of those chalk pens to write with. It wipes off easily enough with water. The chalk pen I got from Micheal's.

      Delete
  2. I make herb flavoured salts,they make such a difference in cooking...and it takes no time at all to do.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a friend who sells Epicure and I never had tried the products before. I ordered a sea salt, garlic and parsley mix in its own grinder. Well, heck I am going to make my own and save myself some money.

      Would love to try some of your herb mixtures.

      Delete