Thursday, November 14, 2013

pumpkin soup

I know I seem out of sync with putting up the garden. I am just starting now to do something with my little sugar pumpkins. 
Summer blended into autumn, and I really have no idea where fall went.
 I went to the neighbours and dug up some horseradish. I canned some, and planted three roots.
 I wanted a perennial bed near the garden, where I plan on having a herb, and perennial plants together-so I had to till that area up, while hubby hauled old rotten manure out of the cow shed into the garden.
Hubby rented a post pounder, and in my future perennial bed, we put in posts for a fence.
I dug up another perennial bed, and planted tulips and daffodils bulbs.
All the while, my pumpkins were slowly, quietly, ripening on the shelf in the garage.


Today I pureed three of those sugar pumpkins. Trust me when I say, you can't even tell that I took three pumpkins off of the shelf! I will be processing more pumpkins in the very near future.


Once I got these three pumpkins pureed, I made hubby and I pumpkin soup for lunch. I thought it tasted good. Hubby just says it was different and it was ok. I am not even sure what that means.


The rest of the puree will be made into muffins, and  bread.



Pumpkin Soup

1 onion, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped finely
2-4 carrots chopped finely or grated
3 tbsp butter
1 garlic clove minced
3-5 cups of pumpkin puree
thyme
parsley
salt and pepper
2 c half and half

-saute onions, carrots, garlic, celery in the butter
-add remaining ingredients except for the cream
-cover and simmer for about ten minutes
-add the half and half, heat through and serve 

-makes about 4-6 servings.

I added about a cup or so of chicken stock at the same time I added the pumpkin. I think my puree was to thick. Also, I don't measure out my herbs and spices. I go by taste.





3 comments:

  1. It sounds really yummy! I had to laugh at your husband's comment about the soup. I get a few of those from my hubby from time to time ;)

    PS - Thank you for the comment on my post about our cat Sylvester. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment on our blog at Calamity Acres, and yours is wonderful! I'm going to have to pass on pumpkin soup, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I thought 'uck' to pumpkin soup. But I was determined since I grew them, we are going to eat them besides in a pie. And actually I was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted! However, as a leftover NO. Feed it to the chickens.

      Delete