Friday, November 01, 2013

laundry detergent

I have been steadily working on trying to be more frugal and to eliminate the use of chemicals in our everyday lives.


I have been making our own powder laundry detergent for awhile now.

I use my food processor to grate the bars of soap
Since we moved to the Peace country seven years ago, I have noticed that our whites were looking a bit dingy. I don't know if it is because we have dugout water, or if it is because I don't use liquid bleach or hot water for washing our laundry.

I mix all of my ingredients together in a 4 gallon crock.
I decided to try a bleach powder type product once, in with my detergent. I didn't noticed a difference. No sense wasting money on a product that isn't working for me.

My crock sits on a shelf beside my washing machine
I use:

2- packages of Sunlight bar soap, grated. Cost for 2@ $2.19 each= $ 4.38
1 -3 kg box of Washing Soda                                                              5.79
1-2 kg box of Borax                                                                            5.99
1-1.36 kg container of OXY Clean                                                    10.97
2 - 375 g of Downy Un-stopables                                                        7.97
                                                                                   Sub-Total       35.10
                                                                                    5% GST          1.76
                                                                                   TOTAL          36.86


My crock is almost full, and it usually lasts about three months. 
I could make this even cheaper if I didn't use the Oxy Clean or use the Downy Un-stopables. But I figure at $12.30 a month I think it is fair.  


Note: I purchased my products at NO FRILLS in the town of Peace River



No comments:

Post a Comment