Friday, November 01, 2013

how to sew a pair of curtains

I have discovered that sometimes, it is cheaper to make things that one needs than to pay big bucks for it. I really don't like shopping. I have such a hard time, trying to find exactly what I like or looking for. So much stuff that I see in the stores is just plain ugly and of very cheap quality.

A few years ago, I went on the hunt for some curtains for my son's bedroom. I couldn't find anything that I liked, in the size that I needed, or a pattern that was befitting for a young man. I just get so frustrated! I decided to heck with that! I searched again through my material and I found enough material to make him a set of curtains.

I would like to share how I made those curtains. I use this basic plan for any curtain that I am making, whether it be a valance or a floor length drape. I hope you all find it helpful.

 After you chose your material, always wash it first. Have the material pre-shrunk first, and not after you have made something.

To find out what size your finished curtains will be, you need to measure your window, and decide what kind of rod you are using. Your width of your curtain is going to be 2 1/2 times that measurement. I measured about one inch above the window trim. For your length you need to add in for all the seams and rod pockets. I decided my rod pocket was 5", plus 1" turn-under hem.  The rod pocket is one-half the measurement around the rod plus 1/4". For my bottom hem, I decided I wanted a 2" hem with a one inch turn-under hem. Clear as mud? 

I started at the bottom end. I measured two inch, pinned, and ironed. The hotter the iron the better, just don't burn your material. I than turned that two inch up, pinned, ironed, and sewed as close to the edge as possible.








The next step is do the sides. Measure one-inch, turn-under, pin, and iron. Then turn the edge again. Pin and iron. Sew as close to the edge as possible.










The final step is the rod pocket. I first measured one inch, and iron. I decided that I needed my rod pocket to be five inches. I sewed as close as possible to the edge.  I measured 1 1/2 inches from that sown edge, and sewed. Than I measure from the folded edge 1 1/2 inch down. 






Here is a trick that I have learnt. Use a piece of painters tape for a guide for your stitching.











Here is another trick that I learnt from sewing quilt blocks together. To save time, I fed my second panel through just after the first panel. 










Here are the finished curtains hanging in Junior's bedroom.










1 comment:

  1. I sometimes use painters tape as a sewing guide, too. :-) Great minds ... The curtains turned out sweet!

    ReplyDelete