Tuesday, November 05, 2013

honey and beeswax

Saturday evening, hubby and Daughter#3 scraped the honey off of the frames and strained it through a wire strainer. They left the honey and the strainer full of comb sitting on the counter in two different bowls. I finally got around to my honey today.

I poured the honey through a cheesecloth. I wasn't thinking when I first started doing it this way. I soon realised this was not going to work! My pint jar got half full, and the honey laden cheese cloth was sitting in the jar of honey. I ended up cutting another piece of cheese cloth to put over a 4 cup measuring glass and strained it that way, and than poured it directly into the pint jars. I don't know why I didn't think of that right from the get-go! Cheez Louise!!


I ended up with 4.2 lbs of honey.



I also processed my bees wax. This is how I did it.


Just a few words of caution:
 *beeswax has a tendency to get on everything and everywhere, so be prepared
*beeswax is hard to remove
* use pots and utensils, that you are no longer going to be using in the kitchen
* don't leave beeswax unattended-it can easily catch fire
*melt on med-low to about med, and be patient


How to Clean Beeswax

*fill your pot about with the same ratio of water to uncleaned beeswax, add your unclean comb-but don't overfill your pot
*bring the comb and water to barely a boil, remove from heat



* I strained it through a wire mesh strainer into a plastic container that was big enough to hold the amount of water and beeswax


* you will notice as the beeswax is cooling it floats to the top and all the dirty bits of particles 'sink' to the bottom in the water
*once it cooled, all the beeswax will be sitting on top, gently remove the wax, and put it back into your pot with clean water. Throw out the old dirty water from your container outside. Do not pour it down your drain. You'll clog your pipes!
*wipe your pot out in between the melting process, using paper towel
*you will repeat this step a few times (I did about three times)
*when all the major dirty bits have been removed, the final step involves melting your wax in a double boiler or something similar
*clean your melting pot the best that you can, give it a really good wiping down
*add your clean wax to your pot
*melt the wax again in your double boiler
*get a clean nylon stocking and stretch it over a clean plastic container or a clean cardboard milk jug. I used a small 500 ml yoghurt container and I stretched the stocking over the container, with the toe part of the stocking barely hanging into the container
*once the wax was melted, I poured it through the stocking into the container
*the fine mesh of the stocking helps further remove any tiny bits of particles, so in the end, you end up with clean wax
*allow the wax to completely cool, before you remove it from the container



*once the beeswax has completely cooled, remove from the container and store your wax for your future projects



3 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for sharing that. I always say that we learn something new everyday and it's a good thing! It's a lot of work, but I am sure you love the candle light you get from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit time consuming, but anything that is worth while usually is. I think I was doing like 4 different things yesterday while I was melting the wax and playing with the honey. hahaha I haven't used any of yet to make candles, I have used some in my soap that I make.

      Delete
    2. I never thought about bees wax being used in soap. Then again, I haven't made any.... yet, so I really don't know much about it. It's on my list now that the winter days are coming.

      Delete