Tuesday, November 12, 2013

corn chowder and biscuits

Several ago, I knew an older couple. They were like grandparents to me. I loved both of them dearly. I use to visit them faithfully.


 I remember one time when I was over visiting, and Bina had made hamburger soup for lunch. Aw, that soup was so delicious. The only kind of soup I could make came out of a can. I told Bina that I wished I could make soup like her. Her comment back to me was why can't you? I told her I didn't know how. It never once occurred to me, to look in a cook book.


 Pete pipes up and proceeds to tell me a story about an old woman and a beggar. They were both starving and the old woman told the beggar she had nothing to eat except for a bone that she was going to feed her dog. The beggar took the bone and put it into a pot with some water. He continued to ask the old woman if she had a potatoe, an onion, a carrot, etc. In the end, the beggar made them both a pot of soup.

I don't have a lid for my pot. So I had to impervise.
Pete always told me, you take a bit of this and a bit of that to make soup, but always make sure you have some fat for the soup. It is the fat that gives the soup, flavour.


 Bina in her infinite wisdom always said to make sure your soup has colour. If you are making a vegetable soup, always add potatoe, carrot, onion, tomatoe, peas or beans, corn. She basically said it is like the colours of the rainbow you are adding; white, red, green, orange, yellow.


Once I started making hamburger soup, I haven't looked back.


If I happen to use a can of tomatoe soup, I usually embellish it with either rice or macaroni, celery, onion and some spices for a really quick soup.


 There is something about homemade soup that is so comforting and warm. 



Corn Chowder Soup

-Fry  4 slices of bacon cut in small pieces. Remove bacon bits and drain on paper towelling. 
-Pour off fat. Keep 2 tbsp and return to your pot.
-Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion. Cook until transparent but not brown.
-Add 2 cups diced raw potatoe and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook 8-10 minutes or until tender. 
-Add 3 cups warm milk, 1 (14 oz) can, undrained, whole kernel corn, your crisp bacon bits, salt and pepper
-Heat just to boiling. Season to taste. Makes about 6 cups.


Baking Powder Biscuits

-Place in a bowl: 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, mix well.
-Add 3 tbsp butter. Mix till crumbly.
-In a measuring cup, measure 1 cup milk, add 1/2 tsp of baking soda to the milk. Stir well.
-Add the milk and baking soda mixture to the flour mixture. 
-Mix until it forms a ball.
-Turn out onto a floured surface.
-Knead 8 to 10 times.
-Roll or pat into a circle about 3/4" thick.
-Cut into 2 inch circle. 
-Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes, until the bottoms are a nice golden colour. Makes about 16.

6 comments:

  1. My favorite soup that i make quite often as i have all the ingredients to hand as staples. Love the beggar story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is slowly warming up to the chowders. It has taken him many years, but the more he learns where his food comes from and what has/is happening to the food, he embraces more of the different kinds of foods I make for him.

      Delete
  2. I also love the beggar story, I always tell people about becoming a "fisherman" when they want me to knit them something, I'd rather teach them to "knit" rather than make them something.

    Anyway, thank you for sharing your recipes, I have never made biscuits and will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never forgotten that story and it has been close to 25 years ago when Pete told it to me.

      I too, rather teach than give. I also like the fisherman story. I tell it quite often to folks.

      Growing up, we ate a lot of biscuits. One of the few good memories from childhood.

      You are most welcome. I love sharing recipes, plus I like discovering new recipes.

      Delete
  3. Chowder is one of my family's favourite soups and it's so comforting in winter. Love the beggar story, too - there's a book called Stone Soup that is along the same lines… my kids loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is getting use to the idea of having milk in soup form. I am slowly building him towards trying pumpkin soup! hahaha

      Delete