Saturday, November 23, 2013

beef jerky


My gang is big on beef jerky. 
It doesn't matter how much or how often I make jerky, it sure doesn't last long around here. I try to be sneaky about it, when I am making it. If only it didn't take so long for the dehydrator. I will have to wait for a time when both of the boys are in camp. 

It is another one of those 'skills' that I shouldn't have learned. I just ended up spoiling my family.

In the past when we took a bigger steer in for butchering, I always got the butcher to to thinly slice about forty pounds of meat, (I called it rouladen) so I can make jerky. I usually make it from scratch. 
For the past two years we have taken in smaller steers, so no rouladen. So now I am cheating!

I purchased a couple of these different flavour Jerky spice kits. The spice and the cure are included in the box, enough to nix up six pounds of ground beef or venison.



Last time I made this jerky, using this product,I made up about twenty pounds of ground beef. Which I don't recommend doing that much at once. I had my dehydrators going for a few days, and the excess meat had to stay in the fridge. 
This time around I only made eight pounds-twelve hours. 

I always add more spices. This time around I added hot dried ground peppers that I grew. For an extra bite.


When we sold our last farm, we sold the bare land to a young family man. He was also a hunter. He stopped in for coffee one day and we were discussing making jerky. Donny told me that he used this product and he used ground venison. He also told me to purchase the tool kit for making the strips.


This kits come with three different attachments. I haven't used the one for pepperoni or the double tip nozzle.


It takes a bit of practice-maybe one or two strips to get the hang of it. If you squeeze the gun, and pull back across your screen to fast, you end up tearing the meat. If you hold the gun to long in one spot, you get a ripple effect happening. I use a dinner knife to 'cut' the meat away from the nozzle. 


Throughout the drying process I used paper towels to dry off the jerky. The fat kind of melts, and you need to wipe it off so your jerky doesn't go rancid.

Let it cool, and store in freezer bags. Keep it in the fridge or the deep freeze. Mine never makes it to the freezer!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have the patience to do this....so I would cheat even more. My husband found a old, old general store near us that sells 'world famous' beef jerky. We are headed up there next week, will by and see how it taste.

    I agree with you on the spoiling part. I have to hide the extra pumpkin bread in the freezer....just so I can feel like I saved money. The menfolk would eat whatever I make in days;-)
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that! It doesn't matter what it is, I feel the need to 'hoard' it until like I am ahead of the game!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting! I've never made jerky, therefore I didn't know the process. Very informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well with you, miss the updates on your blog.

    ReplyDelete