Friday, October 25, 2013

canned pizza sauce




I love putting up my garden. 


I even love my kitchen tools that help me put up my garden faster-like my food mill!


I run the tomatoe skins etc again through my food mill for a second time, just to get all the good bits from them.



When I go to use my pizza sauce, I add fresh herbs and a pinch of dried hot peppers or a dash of a hot sauce, just to give it a bit of zip.






PIZZA SAUCE

13 cups prepared tomatos
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp garlic powder

Pass tomatos through a sieve or food mill, measure 13 cups. (If you do not have a food mill or strainer, blanch, peel, core and chop tomatos. Place in colander and let stand 15 minutes; discard liquid and puree tomatoes in a food processor. Measure 13 cups)

Place half of the tomato puree in a large stainless steel saucepan; bring to a boil. Maintaining a constant boil, add remaining tomato puree 1 cup at a time. Stir in lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Boil hard, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

Ladle sauce into a hot jar to withing 1/2 inch of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre lid on jar; apply screw band securely until fingertip tight. Do not over-tighten, Place jar in canner. Repeat for remaining sauce.

Fill canner full of water, and cover with the lid; return water to a boil. At altitudes up 1, 000 feet process 35 minutes. (Check your local area for altitudes and adjust processing time)  Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed on a cloth towel for 24 hours. DO NOT RE-TIGHTEN screw bands. Check jars seals. Label and store in a cool, dark place. Do not stack your jars.

Makes about 4 pint jars.

Adapted from Bernardin

Note: I have to say this, so please forgive me: The canning method I use is what I have been doing for years and believe to work best for my family. I am not in anyway against pressure canning nor do I feel my method is any less safe than that of pressure canning. Please use the method you feel safest with as I am not responsible for any mishaps or illnesses.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your pizza sauce recipe. I hope I remember where I saw it next year when I begin my canning to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete