Friday, October 18, 2013

An early morning challenge!

Last night when daughter number three came home from work, while she was telling me about her day, she mentioned that her jeep had a low rear tire, which made it not handle correctly. My husband and son are both in camp, so it is just us women holding down the farm. I haven't changed a tire for a couple of decades. I sent her to work this morning in our old '92 standard truck. She has been learning how to drive a manual, and she is getting pretty good at it.

Why this tale? Part of being self reliant and depending more on yourself to do certain jobs is to be able to do all sorts of tasks. Especially if you are a woman and with the closest town is thirty miles away, hiring someone to do it is out of the question. Bonus side to this, is that while you are learning how to me more self reliant, you are also saving money. So on my to-do-list for the day, is attempt to try to change a tire.I could leave the flat for Junior who will be home later today, or for the husband who will be home tomorrow evening. But I like to test myself!

I brought the floor jack from the barn/shop. I dragged it across the farmyard  to the garage where the jeep was parked. I did managed to figure out how to use it too. I blocked the tires, got the spare out of the jeep, but those damn lug nuts were my downfall! I couldn't get them off. So there the jeep sits. Waiting. Patiently. For the men of the farm to come home.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel awfully bad about the tire. At our house dear darling usually does all the vehicle work and I've often told him I could never get the lug nuts off because he does such a good job putting them on. Perhaps ask your husband where the electric or air gun is to help you be able to remove it on your own at home. On the road, that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chuckled when I read your comment CMM, because the hubby and son did use the air gun to change the tire. But with that said, neither one of them showed me how to use the power tool! :)

      Delete